Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Inheriting John Wayne

It's a kid's world. At least from my perspective these days. I can remember how fun it was to run through my grandmother's pasture chasing butterflies, digging for earthworms or trying to catch crawdads in the creek. By the time I became a teen, time stood still. I couldn't grow up fast enough.

Now, looking back, I'm wondering why such a hurry?

My mother can no longer live in her home. I've been going through her things--trying to decide what gets dumped into a trash bag, what goes to Goodwill and what I should keep (and what my brother keeps). I think brother and I are falling all over ourselves trying NOT to step on each other's toes. We've both inherited the pack rat gene since both parents had it, so I think he feels like I do--no matter who gets what, we always have access to it.

The house above was my grandparents house. My brother bought it years ago and renovated/updated it. Before the renovation, he moved it to the woods. No cable tv--no Internet. Just the sound of coyotes at night, wind whipping through the tall pines ... and bugs. Lots of bugs.

See John Wayne? I bought him for my dad back in the 70s when we both enjoyed a drink or two. John was filled with something ... I can't remember what. He's perched on the empty shelf... waiting to see who will get him. I'm tempted, but I know deep down in my gut, someone else wants him. I'll wait ... wait... wait ... The empty shelves are depressing.

So... now you know why I'm not posting regularly. My head/heart isn't in it, but I'm thinking about you.
And for those of you who truly believe it's a kid's world, and you write for kids, check out these two markets: 

Speeding Star is a new trade imprint from Enslow Publishers, a company known for its educational titles. Speeding Star will focus on stories geared to boys, and the editors are actively seeking submissions. Unagented writers are welcome. Fiction manuscripts should be between 5,000 and 12,000 words, written at a fourth-grade reading level. The editors are especially interested in adventure stories, mysteries, sports stories and fantasy fiction with boy protagonists. Submit the manuscript through their online submission form, found here.

Amazon.com is adding two new imprints for children’s books to its growing list of publishing endeavors. Two Lions will be devoted to children’s picture books through middle grade books, while Skyscape will focus on YA and New Adult titles. Margerey Cuyler heads up Two Lions and Tim Ditlow will oversee Skyscape. Together, the two imprints make up Amazon Children’s Publishing. Query to acp-submit@amazon.com. Attach the complete manuscript for a picture book and the first three chapters for all other works.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You must be so busy, nostalgic, and a bit melancholy. I can understand why you aren't blogging as much.
I love the John Wayne liquor-statuette! Thanks for the submissions info. I've started subbing small presses, but completely forgot about Amazon. Thanks! :-)

LD Masterson said...

I went through this when my mom dies and again when we lost my mum-in-law. Strange how easily I can get rid of my own stuff but so much harder going through theirs.

Good luck.

Unknown said...

Good to see you can still find humor in the midst of a sad task. Long live John Wayne!

Sylvia Ney said...

Best of luck to you and your family with this difficult time.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry you are having to go through this. Wishing you well. All those things bring back so many memories. I was kind of glad I didn't have a chance to go back after my mom passed to pick up material from the house. It was hard enough just bringing her rosary home.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having to go through the tasks of spliting things that you have always been seen together. But has you said having access to it all is certainly a blessing. Praying for you and your family.

BECKY said...

I understand. I wish you peace and acceptance, and happiness along with all your lovely memories.

Nickie said...

Best of luck with cleaning/clearing out. It's hard enough cleaning, but even tougher when everything has some sentimental value.

And thanks for the Amazon submission info! I hadn't even heard about it (what rock have I been living under?), but I'll have to check it out.