Sunday, May 13, 2007

Attitude - It Can Make us or Break us

I found a yellowed sheet of paper on an old bulletin board with the following paragraphs typed on it. I have no idea who gave it me. It's worth reading and remembering.


Attitude
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” ~Charles Swindoll




2 comments:

Sandra Robbins said...

How right you are, Jess. When I became a school principal, the superintendent gave me a small lapel pin to wear. It was the word ATTITUDE spelled out in tiny letters. I tried to remember that as I dealt with problems each day. I think that was probably the best piece of advice I received on how to be successful in my job.

Sandra

Weasel1 said...

Attitude is everything. I keep pushing myself with my writing and only by continually striving do I gradually improve my writing. Fear was previously conquoring me and now I am conquoring fear.

I once had a biology teacher in college that told the class something quite profound. "Stop living your life like it's a trial run." That meant a lot to me and I became less reckless and more centered. With attitude and discipline great things can happen.

All I dream about doing is writing all day because it's as natural as blinking for me but at the same time I know that I must read more to improve my writing.

Most battles are lost before they begin because people don't have the right attitude. With the right attitude nothing is impossible. It comes down to patience and discipline and sacrifice really.

I am trying to learn to sacrifice now for my art of writing and previously I wasn't willing to do that. I would always wait a week or month and now I realize that I must have the right attitude and make whatever I'm doing happen today and not wait till tomorrow.

Blake