Thursday, April 30, 2015

Z is for Zealous

We've reached the end of our A to Z Blogging Challenge. I made it! It sure got tedious reliving my renovation experience. I'm glad it's over! For more information on the challenge and its creator, and to read other bloggers please visit:   http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com

My Z is for zealous. I remember how zealous my contractor was when he began our construction, and how that enthusiasm tapered off after the first week or two. That describes me too when I start a new writing project. I jump in with energy and excitement, but then I reach a tough spot and put off dealing with it. Procrastination sets in. Often I never pick up that project again. I start a new one.... only to do the same thing.

Sometimes you hear writers compare writing a novel to building a house. I see the similarity. When it comes to finishing my projects, I'm as bad as Mr. Contractor. In our case, we had to let our contractor go--he couldn't be trusted to do the job right. We hired others to finish the project.

I'm wondering--should I turn my many unfinished projects over to another writer...? Mmmm.

I've enjoyed the 2015 A to Z Challenge. I hope you have. See you next year?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the comparison of building a house to writing a novel. The foundation must be strong.

Charles Gramlich said...

A good "Z" to have.

jaybird said...

I always start out the same way when I'm writing something new- but somewhere along the line I start to fizzle. Taking some time away and coming back sometimes helps.

I don't think I could ever hand one of my stories off to someone else. I'm too much of a control freak and character driven to do that. I know I wouldn't be able to relinquish my character's story over to someone else.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Yeah I think I will be here next year too.

Congratulations on completing the A to Z blogging challenge!
Don’t forget about the A to Z Reflections post coming up in May.

--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
2015 A to Z of Vampires
http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Jess.
Congrats on reaching the A to Z finishing line!
This time round, I didn't really visit as many blogs as I'd have liked to...
See you next year for another month of "alphabet madness"!

Unknown said...

Great posts from A to Z. Although I do not believe I will ever hire a contractor. House better always be perfect. At least you start projects. That is better than always finding an excuse to do nothing.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

hello Jess! the last day of the a-z challenge, I'm finding you! Thanks for popping in my blog. I'm still working my way through the last of the blog link list. I'm going to finish it! I like finding women of faith, so I like the name of this blog and your scripture. I think women who write about faith once in a while can change the world. Hope to visit again!