Monday, September 23, 2013

Every Day is a Saturday

Since hubby retired I've lost all track of time. All my summer TV shows have ended. Once Upon A Time starts again next Sunday. Can't wait! Hey, did any of you catch the first episode of Sleepy Hollow? Wow! It grabbed me. I don't remember Irving's Ichabod Crane being so cute. Tonight I'll be enthralled in the second episode. Will  you be watching it?

I watch Duck Dynasty periodically--always good for a laugh and a few life lessons. I know of some Louisiana people that are insulted by them, but really, this bunch could be from anywhere. I'm originally from East Texas and I have family members that look, sound and act just like the Duck Dynasty bunch. Come to think of it, I sound a little like them too.

I'm once again wrapped up in Project Runway--the only reality show I'm dedicated to. Odd since I can barely sew on a button much less create something one could actually wear. My mother almost put me up for adoption during my Home Economics sewing project.

Without my TV shows, I never know if it's a Tuesday, Wednesday or a Thursday. Truthfully, every day feels like a Saturday. Nothing feels real since we left Oklahoma.

 And as you know I haven't blogged.

I suppose all bloggers need a break now and then. Unfortunately, a break can turn into a very long time. I loved my blogging habit. I think I started in 2006 or early 2007. Now, I'm in non-blogging mode. Time to get back on track.

This weekend daughter invited her dad to see the LSU-Auburn game with her. They left around noon and got back to Lafayette around 1:00 A.M.

 While they were doing their thing, I met with a couple of very dear writer friends. When we lived in New Iberia, I'd drive into Lafayette to visit Barbara and Ro. We were all members of the Writer's Guild of Acadiana. That was 27 years ago. After we moved away, the three of us still visited each other, entered contests and went to conferences together. We all eventually got published one after another--books, short stories or poems. Barbara sold ten Silhouette Romances before she quit writing. Ro  published poetry and short pieces and ghost-wrote a nonfiction book. Her novel Hero's Welcome is available now and I can guarantee it's a wonderful read--about the POWs in Louisiana. She studied under Ernest Gaines and her novel--prepublished--won all kinds of awards. I've read it several times but I can still remember my very first reading, and how excited I was that it  was so wonderful. You know how you feel when you get hold of a really good book. I read Hero's Welcome straight through without putting it down.

When hubby, daughter and I moved to Luling, Louisiana, we added another writer friend to our circle: Barbara Colley, author of several romances, a Women's Fiction/saga and the Maid for Murder series set in New Orleans.

I love these friends. I wish we could go back to the way it used to be--meeting every week, keeping each other motivated, encouraging each other. Sad to say nothing stays the same. Believe it or not, I think I'd like it if things were always the same... as long as 'same' was good.

What are you guys doing? Finishing up manuscripts? Blogging daily? Have you sold anything? Let me hear from you.

5 comments:

Linda Todd said...

I'm in the process of revising my novel by adding another character and subplot. I've got to do a little research on PTSD. Don't know if I'm ever going to get through with this thing. In the meantime I'm working on some short stuff. Over the weekend I entered the 24 Hour Contest put on by Booklocker. I hate working with deadlines but I found I'm more creative when I have one. I feel good about the story I sent in. Whether I win anything or not, I've got something I can send out later. It was fun.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool your daughter and husband went to an LSU game.
I liked the first episode of Sleepy Hallow. I'll keep watching.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've definitely not been a regular blogger of late. Just can't seem to get back on track, although I'm doing a bit better. Sometimes breaks allow for recharging.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've been self-employed for 14 years - I am easily confused as to which day it is.

I love Duck Dynasty!

Unknown said...

Sadly (or happily) nothing ever says the same. But if you know what you want and work toward it, you may get life to change in a direction that'll make you happy.

One of your friends is grasping her purse so tightly in the pic that it looks like she's afraid you all are gonna steal it! lol

My novel is inching toward publication. I'm trying to write a short story freebie prequel to it, but it's not going well. It needs lots of revision. Why don't things get easier? :(