Friday, June 28, 2013

Markets and Moving and More


It’s true, time flies when we’re having fun.  When we’re experiencing sad, painful things, time drags and every day seems to last forever. We’ve been in Oklahoma for a year and three months. Doesn’t seem like a year. Only when we took the 10-hour trek to Louisiana (and back) once a month did it feel like forever. Today we learned we’ll be pulling out on July 27th.  As anxious as I am to get home, I’m sad to be leaving. I’ve enjoyed being here in Yukon—meeting my friend Janie at the library for writing day, going to Discovery Church, having lunch with friends every Sunday. Exploring the fantastic Salvation Army Family Store for books and going to Half-Price Books in OKC. Things are different at home.  I can’t imagine living there permanently again. We’ll see what happens.

So … I’m setting goals to reach by July 27th because I have no idea what will happen once we get home. I know it will take awhile to get acclimated, and I hate unpacking boxes!
I’m still trying to finish my novel to send to Love Inspired. The editing/revising is what takes so long. Fresh writing moves pretty fast. Interruptions keep popping up. Today I’m reading the galleys of The Last Daughter, my novella. Seems like every time I post, I’m reading over it for some reason.  Has it taken forever to reach this point? Seems so, but my editor says it won’t be long before it’ll be available. I’m anxious to see what kind of response it gets since I’ve never written anything like it. It has a little darkness to it. A dose of reality I call it—dark reality.

 I have a couple of articles to write for Southern Writers Magazine, and a new nonfiction project I’m toying with.
In the meantime, here are a few markets for you.
Over at Cruising Altitude 2.0, D.L. Hammons is revving up his Write Fight 2013. You have until midnight June 30th to enter your 500 word short story. Take a look and follow instructions to perfection.  http://dlcruisingaltitude.blogspot.com/2013/06/write-club-last-call.html?showComment=1372432138957#c822276601668980747 
Slice Magazine is open to submissions from now through August 1 for short stories of up to 5,000 words that explore the theme “Escape.”  “We’re looking for anyone with a fresh voice and a compelling story to share—basically any work that really knocks our socks off. We’re not drawn to experimental or heavy-handed genre fiction. The best way to get a sense of Slice‘s content is to read the magazine.” Slice pays $100 for published stories. Find out more details here .

Samhain Publishing is seeking contributions for a fall 2014 gothic horror anthology. Editor Don D’Auria “wants to feel that claustrophobic, shadowy, oppressive gothic atmosphere” Stories may be supernatural or non-supernatural, historical or contemporary, and may feature ghosts, vampires, werewolves, homicidal maniacs, or almost anything your imagination can create. 25,000 to 30,000 words. Deadline for submissions is September 15, 2013. Stories will be published individually as ebooks in Spring 2014, then compiled into the anthology for the fall. Find all the details here.

Do any of these interest you? What are you working on? SHARE!

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I admire your ability to keep working during and just before and after moving. It always shuts me down.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Oh Charles-- I'll shut down. I'm trying to accomplish something before that happens. :)

Linda Yezak said...

The only thing about you going back to LA is that I'll get to see you again. And I'd *love* to see you again!

Unknown said...

Moving twice in less than two years? Yikes!! I wish you loads of inner strength, and I hope you get everything you want done before the move and then have a safe trip. :-)

Lynn said...

Can't wait until your novella comes out... Good luck with the move.