Tuesday, August 21, 2012

So What's the Point?

My previous post was called Racing the Clock. For those of you wondering, the clock won. No problem. Deadlines are plentiful, aren't they? We can always find another and another and another. Remember the song, I fought the law but the law won. That song keeps rolling through my mind. Here's my version of it:

Writing deadline--thought it was fun.
I raced the clock but the clock won.
I raced the clock but the clock won.
I needed motivation ‘cause I had none
I raced the clock but the clock won.
I raced the clock but the clock won.

 I left my story, now it feels so bad
Guess my race is run
 It was the best story I think I ever had
 I raced the clock but the clock won
 I raced the clock but the clock won.

Sometimes I'm just a time-waster. How long do you think it took me to write that little ditty? And what was the point?
I'm over my head in online classes. I'm taking Self-Publishing taught by DebraHolland, Ph.D. Very informative with guest 'speakers' sharing their self-publishing journey too. Interesting thing is that no one's self-publishing journey is the same. I guess there's no way to truly prepare for self-publishing. We can expect anything and everything, right down to the good and bad reviews. Both will come.

I'm also taking a course called COVERING YOUR BASES: PROMOTIONAL AND PERSONAL USES FOR POD and KINDLE by Beth Daniels who currently writes as Beth Henderson and J.B. Dane. Beth has worked with editors at Berkley, Zebra, Leisure, Harlequin/Silhouette, and Simon and Schuster’s Aladdin Paperbacks. She ventured into self-publishing to keep her out-of-print backlist in print and leaped into the non-fiction book realm with WRITING STEAMPUNK. Visit her HERE.

Another course I'm taking is called In and Out: Putting Characters in Conflict, taught through RWA by Sherry Lewis. I always thought conflict was my weakness. Lately, I've been identifying more writing weaknesses. Makes me wonder how anyone ever comes to the conclusion that they're good enough to self-publish. Any thoughts on that question?

Every time I sign up for online classes, I hear my friend and writing professor say (as he said so long ago), "It's time to stop taking classes and write." I guess I'm a perpetual student but I wonder if I'm really learning anything. How can I be if I'm still making the same mistakes over and over again? Not enough description. Too much dialogue. Talking heads. Not enough conflict. Unlikeable heroine. Unlikeable hero. Heroine too passive. Tense problems. POV problems. What's their goal? What's your point?

And that's where I am today -- in a What's the Point frame of mind? Anyone have an answer?

2 comments:

Linda Todd said...

I'm one of those perpetual students. I'm taking two online courses and fixing to enroll in a Leisure Learning class at McNeese. And I wonder why I never seem to have enough time.

Sherry Perkins said...

Jess, I love your post. Now stop beating yourself up. You yearn for the secrets, the knowledge, the leg up that everybody else seems to have but us. "What is the secret?" There is no secret, just a desire to do it, and you have that desire. I wish I had the time and money for online classes, I'd soak up everything I could - just like you're doing. You hit the nail on the head when you said everyone's journey is different. This means your journey is also different. Keep at it! One day it will pay off. The point is you CAN do it and one day you WILL do it!