Monday, January 23, 2012

A Little Good News

I received some good news.
I'm a finalist in The Phoenix Rattler 2011-2012 writing contest hosted by Christian Writers of the West (ACFW-Arizona) for my entry - A Bad Guy Forever – Suspense/Thriller/Mystery Fiction. There are three finalists in each category. We will be awarded $25, that was our entry fee and an official Finalist award certificate. Call me silly, but I love getting a certificate or trophy or something like that. It's fun.

The final round of judging began on January 11th and will conclude on February 9th. The category winners and overall winner will be announced on February 11th. The completed scoresheets and any manuscript markups provided by the final judges will be forwarded as soon as possible after the contest concludes. Can't wait to see what the judges have to say.

The finalist judges in the suspense/thriller/mystery category are:
Sue Brower, Executive Editor for Fiction, Zondervan (And I've been wanting to get my book in front of her for a very long time.)
Elizabeth Mazer, Assistant Editor, Love Inspired Suspense…Harlequin (Been rejected by LI on several occasions but I'll keep on trying.)

Love the word FINALIST. Love the word WINNER too. I chose this contest because of the finalist judges and the big prize: 
GRAND PRIZE
2012 ACFW Conference ‘paid’ registration
(member’s fee of $515)


How about you? Do you enter contests? How do you choose which ones to enter? Teach me something about entering contests!

13 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Excellent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Lucy Merrill said...

Congrats! I'm all over any kind of affirmation. Writing is a lonely, ego-destroying process. "Finalist" sounds fantastic.

Sherry Perkins said...

As you know, I'm no expert on hosting contests (wink, wink...)but I'm very proud of you. I truly hope you win. I have a piece in the Tennessee Williams Literary Festival with results in March so I know all about the waiting and worrying. You know what though, at least we have the courage to enter! You go, Girl!

Jessica Ferguson said...

Charles, thanks. Crossed fingers are always good.

Lucy - Entering contest is pretty ego-destroying too. Becoming a finalist now and then is needed encouragement.

Sherry - Good luck in your TWLF contest.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

First of all, congrats on being a finalist! Awesome. I love contests. I mostly love free ones. Very rarely do I pay to enter a contest. But every now and then . . . for expample, I just just sent off several submissions to the Oklahoma Writers Federation. Winners do not have to be present at the May conference.

James R Tate said...

I never forget my victories, especially when you consider the multitude of competition, even in not-so-well known contests. I remember literally tearing up the first time I sold a story to a magazine. Congrats! Being a finalist is a BIG deal!

Jessica Ferguson said...

Angie--I never SEE any free contests. At least, not ones that have editors or agents as judges. Unfortunately, the $$$ can add up so I try to choose the contest that has the most to offer.

James - We can't afford to forget our victories. They don't come around that often. :/

Chris Baldauf said...

Good Going, Jess. You always inspire me. I never thought to enter a contest based on the judges. Thanks and blessing.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Chris - thanks for stopping by. Get your novel OUT there!

Georgia said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Jessica Ferguson said...

Georgia, thanks! Been a long time since I've seen you. Hope you and Mr. Bob are doing well.

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations on your final, Jess! I wish you all the best in the final round.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Keli - Thanks! It's always fun to be a finalist. I can only imagine what winning would be like! Heart palpitations! Dizziness! Leaping tall buildings--or trying to! :-)