Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home from Killer Nashville

I’m back from Nashville and completely worn out. I might be a little too old and out of shape to drive 11 hours straight—but it was worth it. This is the first conference I’ve attended where I was totally relaxed and not a nervous wreck. Maybe wisdom really does come with age.

By now, you know I did not win the Claymore award. Of course you know. I’m not shouting “I won, I won” from the rooftop.  I have to say though, I was in excellent company as a top 10 finalist.
Judith Dailey won first place with her novel Animal, Vegetable, Murder. Neat title, huh?
The other two in the top three are Joan Lipinsky Cochran who wrote The Yiddish Gangster's Daughter and Craig Faustus Buck who entered his novel, Go Down Hard.

My money was always on Craig. Don't know him and never met him, but reading his bio, I felt certain he would be the overall winner or make the top three. There's something about writing scripts that gives writers an edge. Craig has been a journalist, a NF book author, and written for TV. He's also written movies of the week and mini-series. Remember Simon and Simon and Magnum P.I.? I loved those guys and watched them faithfully! Having a history with those two shows alone, Craig had my vote!

You might have an idea the caliber of writing I was up against. Killer Nashville was a wonderful experience for me. I'll be posting more about it so I hope you'll pop back over for a visit.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Glad you're home. Looking forward to hearing more about the conference.

Unknown said...

Drat, I wanted you to win. On the other hand I am glad it was a good experience. Awesome.

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I'm getting a little old for those long drives too. My legs and back do not like them. Glad you had fun, and congrats on being in such good company.

Sylvia Ney said...

I can't wait to hear all about it. Will you be at BWG on Sat? BTW, I gave you an award on my blog: http://writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-on-fire.html

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

Being in the top ten is a great accomplishment. Congrats again. Now keep up that good writing!