Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Growing Old Gracefully ... and Having Fun!

Quick post to let you know the new issue of Swamp Lily Review is HERE. We had a lot of submissions for this issue. I have no doubt I'd be totally overwhelmed if we accepted submissions from all over the country. Hope you enjoy the poems, short stories and photography we accepted. I think they're great. My partner Jan who contributes to a new reviews site, tweaked Swamp Lily Review, and it looks beautiful. Let us know what you think. We're on Facebook too so join us there.

I also want to let you know that Southern Writers Magazine (I'm a staff writer!) has started a blog so you can follow it HERE.

On another note, I've registered for the Killer Nashville conference. I'll be sitting in the audience, heart pounding, palms sweating, as they call out the winner of their Claymore contest. I'm thrilled to be a part of this and in the top ten. My hubby gave me the "All Expenses Paid" conference for my birthday so turning "old" hasn't been ALL bad.  Now I need to practice my pitch and start taking some B-O-L-D vitamins. I've attended a lot of conferences in my lifetime, but in spite of my self-pep talks, I always find myself becoming a shrinking violet. I hold up a lot of walls.

So, help me with this. What's your best tip for attending conferences and pitching to editors and agents? Share!

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm the same kind of shrinking violet. although a glass or two of wine might help a little.

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

Ask His Graciousness, the Holy Spirit, to keep you upright and not uptight, Jess. You are such a good writer and person, He's gonna give you all you need to succeed.