Monday, July 25, 2011

Flashbulb Memories

Some of you know that I started and maintain the Bayou Writers' Group blog.  Yesterday, I received a submission from Dr. Stan Weeber, a McNeese professor who wrote the book In Search of Derrick Todd Lee.  I remembered I haven't interviewed Dr. Weeber for Louisiana Saturday Night. I'll have to remedy that. But, back to Flashbulb memories:

From Wikepedia: Flashbulb memories are highly detailed, exceptionally vivid 'snapshots' of the moment and circumstances in which surprising and consequential (or emotionally arousing) news was heard.[1] Flashbulb memories have six characteristic features: place, ongoing activity, informant, own affect, other affect, and aftermath.[1] Flashbulb memories are believed to be highly resistant to forgetting.

Interesting, huh? Go to BayouWriters' Group blog and read more.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I talk about flashbulb memories in my classes often times. I've got some of my own. Very powerful things.