Saturday, March 19, 2011

Best Sellers

Here’s a very incomplete list of best selling authors from Wikepedia. "Best-selling" refers to the estimated number of copies sold of all fiction books written or co-written by an author. If you’d like to see the genres they write in, as well as other details, go HERE. I have favorite authors who aren't on this list-where oh where is Jacqueline Susann who wrote The Valley of the Dolls? I found this interesting bit of trivia regarding The Valley of the Dolls:

The Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
"This tale of sex, violence, and drugs by Jacqueline Susann (1921-74), first published in 1966, is perhaps surprisingly the world’s bestselling novel. Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind, which has achieved sales approaching 28,000,000, is its closest rival."


The authors I’ve marked are those I’ve read but there are a number of authors here I've always wanted to read. How about you? Do you have a favorite here? Who? Why?

William Shakespeare
Agatha Christie
Barbara Cartland
Harold Robbins
Georges Simenon
Sidney Sheldon
Enid Blyto
Danielle Steel
Dr. Seuss
Gilbert Patten
J. K. Rowling
Leo Tolstoy
Jackie Collins
Horatio Alger, Jr.
R. L. Stine
Corín Tellado
Dean Koontz
Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin
Stephen King
Louis L'Amour
Erle Stanley Gardner
Jin Yong
Jirō Akagawa
Janet Dailey
Nora Roberts
Edgar Wallace
Robert Ludlum
Frédéric Dard
Stan and Jan Berenstain
John Grisham
Zane Grey
Irving Wallace
J. R. R. Tolkien
Karl May
Mickey Spillane
C. S. Lewis
Kyotaro Nishimura
Charles Dickens
Ann M. Martin
Ryōtarō Shiba
Arthur Hailey
Gérard de Villiers
Beatrix Potter
Michael Crichton
Richard Scarry
James Patterson
Clive Cussler
Alistair McLean
Astrid Lindgren
Jeffrey Archer
Debbie Macomber
Dan Brown
Eiji Yoshikawa
Catherine Cookson
Norman Bridwell
Paulo Coelho
Roald Dahl
Evan Hunter
Andrew Neiderman
Roger Hargreaves
Anne Rice
Robin Cook
Wilbur Smith
Erskine Caldwell
Eleanor Hibbert
Lewis Carroll
Denise Robins
Xueqin Cao
Ian Fleming
Hermann Hesse
Rex Stout
Anne Golon
Ken Follett
Frank G. Slaughter
Edgar Rice Burroughs
John Creasey
James Michener
Yasuo Uchida
Seiichi Morimura
Mary Higgins Clark
Stephenie Meyer

3 comments:

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

I'm happy to see several children's authors on the list. Seuss is definitely one of my favorites!

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, Dr. Seuss

Mollye said...

Hi Jess, It's been a long time since I visited and I'm glad I "found" you again! Have you ever read anything by Jill Eileen Smith? I was getting some Free books for my Kindle and came across "Michal" by her and loved it so much, I bought the other two in her series; "Abigail" and "Bathsheba". I could not put them down. Several on your list are faves of mine. Take care. Hugs, Mollye