Thursday, October 7, 2010

Quotes From Two of the Best

Since we're headed to Mississippi, here are some interesting quotes from Eudora Welty and Tennessee Williams. Don't you just love these pictures? I'm excited about moving to Columbus--temporarily, of course--and exploring. For about a year, I'll have no responsibilities except washing, ironing, cooking, reading, writing ... Sounds pretty good to me. :)

Which quote do you like the best and why?

To imagine yourself inside another person... is what a storywriter does in every piece of work; it is his first step, and his last too, I suppose. ~Eudora Welty

Writing a story or a novel is one way of discovering sequence in experience, of stumbling upon cause and effect in the happenings of a writer's own life. ~Eudora Welty

Enthusiasm is the most important thing in life. ~Tennessee Williams

If the writing is honest it cannot be separated from the man who wrote it. ~Tennessee Williams

Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose. ~Tennessee Williams

Oh, you weak, beautiful people who give up with such grace. What you need is someone to take hold of you - gently, with love, and hand your life back to you. ~Tennessee Williams

Success and failure are equally disastrous. ~Tennessee Williams

Success is blocked by concentrating on it and planning for it... Success is shy - it won't come out while you're watching. ~Tennessee Williams

The future is called 'perhaps,' which is the only possible thing to call the future. And the important thing is not to allow that to scare you. ~Tennessee Williams

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you weak, beautiful people who give up with such grace. What you need is someone to take hold of you - gently, with love, and hand your life back to you. ~Tennessee Williams

Although I am not beautiful, I am weak and I give up easily. And it would be nice if someone would give my life back to me...it would be better if I had the courage to take it.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Carole - That's my favorite one too. I picture you beautiful ... and splashing in mud puddles with your grandkids. :)

Erica Vetsch said...

If the writing is honest it cannot be separated from the man who wrote it. ~Tennessee Williams

I love this one, because I do feel as if every story is a part of me, revealing my view of the world and the grace and struggles and trials and shortcomings I've experienced.

Great quotes, and I hope you love your new digs in Mississippi.

Charles Gramlich said...

I sort of agree with that success and failure quote. Good stuff though.