Monday, February 1, 2010

Revision, Revision, Revision

I'm diving into the world of Revise, Edit, Revise. Not a fun world for me. I've gathered my resources: my Flip Dictionary for when I spot repetitive words that drive writers nuts. No one knows if using the same word several times within a paragraph truly makes non-writing readers crazy but we know how writers/critique partners/contest judges react. My Flip Dictionary always comes in handy.

Next, my GMC: Goal, Motivation & Conflict book by Debra Dixon. Always good to review because I tend to be short on conflict more often than not. My motivation is sometimes lacking too. I'm sure that comes from my own skewed personality. Sometimes I question my motives for doing things so why would my characters have more on the ball than I do?

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Brown & King is a must.

And finally, Daily Devotions for Writers. I'm sure I'll need lots of inspiration as I muddle through a manuscript I haven't looked at in more than a year.

Last but certainly not least, I've discovered this GREAT blog that will be tremendous help. The latest post about setting had me jotting notes. Go HERE to check it out.

Okay, I've gathered my arsenal of writing aides, including my completed manuscript securely ensconced in a white 3-ring binder.

Next step: open it up and get busy.

P.S. I've come across an awesome blog that might replace my arsenal of writing aides. Take a look here and let me know what you think. This writer knows what she's talking about. Her examples are ones even I can understand! Check her out NOW!

5 comments:

Andrew Rosenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Rosenberg said...

Hit enter too quick...

Thanks for the shout-out!
I'm definitely a big fan of Bookshelf Muse.

I'm doing an on-line revision course right now that's inspiring some of my blog posts but I think they're closed. Revision is hard, far more than I thought. But I think it's what separates hacks from pros...

Unknown said...

Go, Jess! You can do it. Thanks for the Bookshelf Muse. You're right. It's a terrific site.

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad you found your way over.

I LOVE Self Editing for Fiction Writers. It's like my bible, along with Description by Monica Wood.

I've never heard of a flip dictionary! Have you tried this site? http://www.autocrit.com/autocrit/wizardformpage.php

It does a great job of analizing the writing for weak and repeated words.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

What do you mean late/great Times of SW LA? Are they no longer viable?

Sorry to hear if not.

I'm so glad to hear you've pulled out that old manuscript and are revising it!

I know you'll polish it into a real gem.

Good luck and God's blessings with it.

PamT