Monday, February 15, 2010

Motivation Monday

I believe more in the scissors than I do in the pencil. ~Truman Capote

No tale tells all. ~Alexei Panshin

First, find out what your hero wants. Then just follow him. ~Ray Bradbury

It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does. ~William Faulkner

I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose.
~Stephen King

The best way to send information is to wrap it up in a person.
~Robert Oppenheimer

Characters take on life sometimes by luck, but I suspect it is when you can write more entirely out of yourself, inside the skin, heart, mind, and soul of a person who is not yourself, that a character becomes in his own right another human being on the page. ~Eudora Welty

Characterization is an accident that flows out of action and dialogue.
~Jack Woodford

Sometimes when I think how good my book can be, I can hardly breathe.
~Truman Capote

1 comment:

Erica Vetsch said...

That last one...I know that feeling. I often wonder if I'm doing a story justice.

Thanks for the motivation!