Thursday, October 15, 2009

REJECTED! (hint, hint)

Today I received my Hint Fiction rejection. I wasn’t surprised. Searching out and studying many ‘hint fiction’ examples, I realized mine was probably too . . . wrong. I noticed hint fiction has a vagueness that I couldn’t capture. The only way to describe it might be this way: my submission could be compared to a ‘romance novel’ vs. ‘literary fiction.’ It was fun writing--or trying to write--hint fiction. If you can't grasp the hint fiction concept then visit Robert Swartwood’s site HERE. You can read a few examples. You might want to try your own hint fiction contest within your writers' club. I don’t know when Robert's anthology will be out but reading an entire book of Hint Fiction will be fun--sort of like standing at the greeting card rack in a Hallmark store.

Here are my two submissions to the Hint Fiction contest. Maybe you can give me a hint as to why they don't work.

Mr. Fix-it and The Kindergarten Teacher

She didn't have a headboard in her bedroom. Didn't matter. In high school he'd been elected 'Most Creative Guy.' He grinned. He liked this challenge.


I liked my Mr. Fix-It story. The idea came to me while I watched HGTV. You guessed it, they were creating a headboard. Couple that with Looking for Mr. Goodbar and what kind of story do you get?


View from a Bridge
The cherry Popsicle dripped down her arm and onto the sleeve of her white blouse. He sucked in his breath, pulled the camera closer. Gotcha.


I can't remember where this idea came from but I like the image it brings to my mind. In my mind's eye, I saw a young woman in a park. Weeks later when I reread this submission, I saw that the girl could be mistaken for a child. Made for a creepy read.

I think we could get a number of stories out of these two "hints" and I like the game a lot. Thanks Robert! I hope your anthology is a bestseller!

hint fiction (n) : a story of 25 words or less that suggests a larger, more complex story

5 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

Wow, I've never even heard of hint fiction before. Reminds me of that six word story, and the author escapes me at the moment:

For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never worn.

I loved your second example especially.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Thanks Erica! I think that's where Hint Fiction originated from -- was it Hemingway? Robert addresses this story on his site.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to reading your book!

thevoice said...

Jessie! I'm so glad to see you writing again. Missed you. Just so happens I received my rejection this morning, also.

My entries--
You edited this one for me as a longer story. I dropped the word 'annual'.
THE ANNUAL FISHING TRIP

“I really hate it when you make me row the boat.” She whined. “You’d rather my job?” He rolled the guide’s body over the side.

This one I have made into a longer story also. I haven't finished with the ending, yet.
THE MISSED ABDUCTION OF THERA JONES

She dropped the gun which plopped on his chest as his body hit the floor. Before running, she kicked him with her pointed toe boots.

I enjoyed the writing format.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

Yes it is Hemingway and the six words he wrote are still hailed as the shortest story ever writtn. That said, I loved the "headboard" one a lot. I could see the whole story from the couple falling in love as he created the "headboard." They ended up marrying and sharing the big "headboard" bed with their twins. Robert messed up on not choosing yours. Too bad for him.

Angie said...

I got my hint fiction rejection, too! Here's mine.

DINER BLUES

I sat alone at a table for two. He stood me up. I picked up the menu and asked the waiter, “What would you recommend?”