Saturday, August 8, 2009

Too Busy to Blog - Here's Everything in a Nutshell

Last Saturday we had our Bayou Writers' Group meeting. Our speaker, Erin Cormier, writes for some of our local magazines. She is also the assistant editor of Sotto Voce, an online literary magazine. Erin gave us a list of no-nos that come across her desk on a regular basis.

1) too much telling and not enough showing; too much exposition
2) pov confusion
3) the use of too many adjectives and adverbs
4) shifts in tone
5) the story is too little to be big
6) grammatical problems--obviously we all have trouble with commas.
7) poor dialogue-we need to know how our characters speak; they don't all sound alike.
8) no new stories - we should look at our stories through different eyes and from different angles.
9) Satisfactory endings need to wrap things up. So often they don't.

These tips apply to our novel writing too. These aren't things we haven't heard before, but they sure are things we can't seem to master.

After our meetings we always adjourn to Picadilly cafeteria to eat and visit more. Seems we just can't get enough of each other. That's a good thing; it makes for a close-knit, happy writers' group.

I got a sweet gift from Janice, my favorite cousin who has finally, finally joined BWG. I just have to share this fun gift with you. I hung it from the door, but that didn't do justice to this precious Elvis apron so I let Mel model it for you. What'cha think? Some of you know that my book, The Groom Wore Blue Suede Shoes was about an Elvis look-alike. Needless to say, Elvis is still dear to my heart. Yep, I love anything Elvis. Thanks Janice! Too cute, too cool, and so, so thoughtful!

My work week has been busy in spurts. I had interviews on Tuesday, lunch with friends on Wednesday, rewrote chapter 1 of my novel on Thursday, ran to the post office, the cleaners and the grocery store each day, but on Friday around one, I hung out with the rich and famous. Well, maybe 'hung out' isn't quite the right phrase. I went to a press conference and rubbed shoulders with these two guys: Actor Chris Mulkey on the left. I must have had a blank look on my face when I met him because he smiled and told me he worked for Verizon. Was I in shock? :)

The wonderful Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is on the right.

Ahhhhh, the life of a . . . journalist.

3 comments:

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

You have been a busy little bee. I am impressed with your press pass. You go girl

Erica Vetsch said...

Um...Mel? Do you have a lifesized cutout of Mel Gibson as William Wallace? In an Elvis Apron?

And love the Twins Hat...Mr. Mulkey has great taste.

Laurie Kolp said...

It sounds like you have a great writer's guild, with people who support each other rather than compete. You have a great, big part in that- great job, prez!