Monday, July 28, 2008

Something to Think About

How does the writer of creative articles (or anything else) become a professional?


This question is asked so often that I feel impelled to discuss it here: It seems to me that the amateur becomes a professional when he stops thinking of himself as an amateur, and regards himself as a serious, dedicated worker in a highly competitive profession. Only in so doing can he develop the professional working habits that he must have in order to succeed.


Taken from Writing the Creative Article
by Marjorie Holmes-Inspirational writer
1910-2002

2 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

I agree. I've been told before if I act "as if", then I will become. Fake it until you make it.
Laurie :)

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

I love "the fake it, till you make it", mantra. You know something about every phase of writing and that is great but your greatest gift is that you "share" with others your incredible knowledge. And I love you for it.