Sunday, October 14, 2007

TAGGED!

I've been tagged by my new friend, Erica Vetsch. Erica and I met in Dallas at the ACFW conference. We share an agent. :) According to Erica, I'm supposed to tell where I was/what I was doing 10-20-30 years ago. My husband and I put our heads together this morning over breakfast and this is what we came up with.

10 years ago - I had put my writing aside to sell real estate. Big mistake. I'd rather live in front of the computer than in my car. Jim, Chaney and I were (and still are) living in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Chaney was a freshman at St. Louis Catholic High School. Jim worked about eight miles from home, and that doesn't happen very often. For awhile, we were living a normal life.

20 years ago - Four year-old Chaney and I were living in a tiny, white-frame house in Longview, Texas. We called it The Cracker Box. We'd just moved from New Iberia, LA and we were waiting for another job assignment. Jim was camping out in Houston with his sister and working out of the home office. Jim and I grew up in Longview and we prayed to go back there. God is a very good and wise God. He gave us what we wanted temporarily to show us that we didn't need to live in Longview again. He had other plans for us. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Leaving Longview, we went to Luling, Louisiana for three wonderful years. We made good friends at West St. Charles Baptist Church. I made a lot of great writer friends too. here's one of them: mystery writer Barbara Colley. I would move back to Luling in a heart beat!

30 years ago - I'm a late bloomer. At age 29 I'd gone back to college to finish my BA in English. At Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, I wrote my first novel in an Independent Studies class. My professor, Fred A. Rodewald was the greatest encourager I've ever had and we still keep in touch today.

Who can I tag? My friends and crit partners are super busy. Hope they don't hate me for this--here goes:

Elizabeth Ludwig
Janelle Mowery
Sandra Robbins
Marcia Gruver
Marilynn Griffith
Missy Tippens

4 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

Hey, thanks for playing. I love getting to know people better.

Missy Tippens said...

How fun! I just now got back in town and saw the tag game. I finally posted my answers. :) Thanks for inviting me to play, Jess. :)

Missy http://lifewithmissy.blogspot.com/

CJ Kennedy said...

Hi Jess! I was tagged by Erica too. Had to take a peek at all her tags. So glad I finally found one that was a grown up 30 yrs ago! LOL I felt like I should go find a cane or a walker.

Anonymous said...

I graduated from SFA in 1971. I had Dr. Fred Rodewald for a freshman advanced English class when he was still an instructor and again later for another class after he became Dr. Rodewald. I also went to his office once and discussed some career goals with him. He was probably the best all around teacher I had during my four years there. Vickie Furlow Windland, class of 1971