Thursday, October 11, 2007

No Second Guessing Family :)



My husband is on vacation next week. He's the serious type so he'll have an entire list of things for us to accomplish. My daughter is coming home from The New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary for a week. We play a lot. (Probably too much.) I won't get any writing done, but that's okay. Family comes first. They rejuvenate me. Brainstorm with me. Encourage me. Next week will be great.

I hate second-guessing myself. When it comes to my next writing project, why would I want to write something that isn't fun to work on? I like to read books where the hero and heroine have serious problems-- realistic problems. But I also like slapstick romantic comedy that doesn't make a lick of sense. :) Remember the old Dr. Pepper commercial where the entire town danced through the streets singing, "I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper." Describes my romantic comedies perfectly. I long to see couples, families, entire towns dancing in the streets for no good reason.
Trouble is. . . editors say there's "too much angst" in the serious works and "this could never happen" to the humorous.

And so comes the second-guessing: write to the market? write for myself? just write?
I've got a week to think about it.

sec·ond-guess (sknd-gs)
v. sec·ond-guessed, sec·ond-guess·ing, sec·ond-guess·es
v.tr.
1. To criticize or correct after an outcome is known.
2.
a. To outguess.
b. To predict or anticipate: "She can second-guess indictments" Scott Turow.
v.intr.
To criticize a decision after its outcome is known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

second-guesser n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.


Never trust second thoughts. Next thing you know there’ll be a third and a fourth…you’ll be thinking forever. -Richard, Ally McBeal

1 comment:

Erica Vetsch said...

Is there a way to combine the two? Angst leavened with comedy? That's kinda like my real life. Even in the midst of great trials, something goofy will happen (usually caused by me unintentionally) that lightens and lifts our spirits.