Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Quotes

I love quotes and like many writers, collect those that speak to me. I even collect some that are so silly I'll never forget them. Like this one by American Idol judge, Stephen Tyler. He told one contestant, “Crows crow and hens deliver the goods.”  Yeah, ‘nuf said.

Last night Jennifer Lopez said, “Part of being an artist is bearing your soul.”  I went to the library in Yukon yesterday, picked up a book by Stephen James (I’ve never read him) and as I read several pages, I thought: this author really cares; I can feel it. I guess he was bearing his soul.

Other quotes I like:

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.”  ~Kahlil Gibran

I’m trying to keep this in mind since the wind is constantly blowing in Oklahoma.

Don't let a single day go by without writing. Even if it's garbage, if garbage is all you can write, write it. Garbage eventually becomes compost with a little treatment. ~Anonymous

“[The writer] knows he has a short span of life, that the day will come when he must pass through the wall of oblivion, and he wants to leave a scratch on that wall – Kilroy was here – that somebody a hundred, or a thousand years later will see.” ~William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Everyone is gifted - but some people never open their package. ~unknown

 The writer must believe that what he is doing is the most important thing in the world. And he must hold to this illusion even when he knows it is not true. ~John Steinbeck



Put weather in.  ~Joseph Hansen

Do you have a favorite quote that stays in the forefront of your mind as you write or live your life?


3 comments:

Janna said...

I recently read this by Vera Pavlova, a poet:
"The sense of life is in living to the fullest the moments when life seems to make sense."

Thanks for the quotes. Stopping by from A to Z.

Charles Gramlich said...

"never a day without a line" is one of my favorite writing quotes. Not that I've lived up to it lately.

Lynn said...

Love your quotes. I'm catching up after the MWG conference! I'll write to you all about it... umm, not exactly sure when though.