Thursday, April 9, 2015

I is for Incompetent

This post is part of the annual A to Z Blogging Challenge. For more information on the challenge and its creator, please visit http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com





 
Incompetent means not showing the necessary skills to do something successfully. So how do you know the contractor you hire is competent? I have no idea. I wish I could have given mine a written test ... or maybe a construction test.

Contractors don't need formal education. I think most of them have worked with family or friends and that's how they learn the business. That's how my contractor learned-from his dad-and his son is learning from him. I can't help but wonder what his son thought when he saw his dad not follow through on things ... or when he heard him lie.

My research shows that a contractor in Louisiana has to be licensed by the State Licensing Board for Contractors. In fact, there's a website listing licensed contractors by parish, by name of contractor or by name of their company. I wish I'd found this before we hired ours. He's not listed.

For those of you contemplating  a renovation, please check with your state's Licensing Board for Contractors in addition to getting references.  You've heard the old saying Buyer Beware, haven't you? Protect yourself and your pocketbook!

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

plenty of incompetence to go around in that biz I fear.