Wednesday, August 7, 2013

IWSG: Unwelcome Deadlines

Today is IWSG day-the first Wednesday of each month. IWSG stands for Insecure Writers Support Group and was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. You can follow other IWSG members here on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG.

Our purpose is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. Join us!

After 16 months in Oklahoma, we're back in Louisiana. Full time. A couple of friends helped us load the truck and tie everything safely in place. Our Okie friends and church are sweet memories now. So far, I've received one phone call, several text messages and emails and visited on Facebook with them. They always make me smile. Hubby and I have never shared friends (as a couple), and I've never had many non-writing friends. I don't know why. Oklahoma was an unusual experience. A blessing in a number of ways. 

Hubby will be officially retired on Thursday. We'll embark on a different kind of adventure. A little scary.

I used to be very organized. I used to be able to multi-task. Since being home, I'm having trouble writing or even accomplishing more than one thing at a time. Deadlines loom and I'm having to force myself to write. Forced writing isn't good writing. I envy those writers who can whip out a story with no trouble at all and shoot it to their editor with so much confidence they never wonder if that story is good ... or even readable. I'm not that way. I struggle. I feel as though I always struggle to put one word after the other. I struggle with my characters' motivations and strengthening the conflict. I'll ask a question I've asked a hundred times: how do we know, really know a story is good, if it hangs together, is logical, plausible and ready to be sent to the editor? When we're satisfied with it, you say? What if we're never satisfied?

I have a Sept. 1st deadline for a  9,000 word Christmas story. I'm struggling. Any advice?

5 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

I'm having a lot of trouble writing right now, which is a little disheartening. My advice is just to keep trying, it'll come eventually. At least, that's what I'm going to do!

Molly/Cece said...

I have a number of strategies. I write down my goals. I try to put as many down as I can think of. My goal map gives me clarity. Sometimes struggling means I'm neglecting something important. I cut down the noise to figure out what my struggle is trying to tell me. Perhaps my focus is off or my POV is wrong. I need to be quiet to hear. Finally, I get enough sleep or even take a mini-vacation. Sounds like you are going through many changes, I'd give myself a few days to process all that. Happy IWSG day!

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a deadline I"m struggling with too right now. I keep putting off things for it, and that means I'm getting nothing else done either. disappointing.

Linda Todd said...

Hi Jess. Welcome back. Call me when you have time so we can do lunch. I have some good news that's helped my insecure writer's syndrome. A production company wants to read my manuscript. I just have to get it registered with the copyright office before I send it off. It came about because of networking at the writer's retreat in Alpine. It's got me motivated to get busy and do my additions ASAP.

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people who, even though I just finished another revision, can probably go back through and find something else to change. You just have to force yourself to throw it out there before you do it again. lol