Any family-friendly subject is welcome, and the guidelines are simple:
1. Your story must take place in a Southern setting or feature a character from the South.
2. Manuscript must be 1000 words or less, 12 pt Times or Times New Roman, double-spaced.
3. Your name, email address and mailing address must be on page 1, with your title and story beginning on page 2.
4. No erotica, profanity or otherwise questionable content will be considered.
5. Submission and entry fee must be received by 12:01 AM May 2, 2012.
Some of you know how much I love The First Line Literary Magazine. Editor David LaBounty spoke at one of our BWG conferences: great session if you need a speaker on small presses, literary magazines, poetry, plays or short stories. The purpose of The First Line is to jump start the imagination--also, an exercise in creativity for writers and a chance for readers to see how many different directions we can take when we start from the same place.