Sunday, January 31, 2010

MOTIVATION MONDAY

I can speak of my own criterion for judging whether or not a book is good or bad. I ask of it a single question, From how deep and true an impulse did it spring? Was it written merely to shock? Only to make money? Or was it written to create something. ~Lawrence Clark Powell

Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try. ~Fran Lebowitz

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow . . . ~ Lawrence Clark Powell

A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us. ~Franz Kafka

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S’s: the power to see, to sense, and to say. That is, he is perceptive, he is feeling, and he has the power to express in language what he observes and reacts to. ~Lawrence Clark Powell

I write at eighty-five for the same reasons that impelled me to write at forty-five; I was born with a passionate desire to communicate, to organize experience, to tell tales that dramatize the adventures which readers might have had. I have been that ancient man who sat by the campfire at night and regaled the hunters with imaginative recitations about their prowess. The job of an apple tree is to bear apples. The job of a storyteller is to tell stories, and I have concentrated on that obligation. ~James Michner, The World is My Home

No comments: