Friday, April 11, 2008

Something to Think About

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket. ~Charles Peguy

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

What I like in a good author is not what he says, but what he whispers.
~Logan Pearsall Smith, "All Trivia," Afterthoughts, 1931

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say. ~Sharon O'Brien

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov

Ink and paper are sometimes passionate lovers, oftentimes brother and sister, and occasionally mortal enemies. ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. ~James Michener

Write your first draft with your heart. Re-write with your head.
~From the movie Finding Forrester

4 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

Wonderful quotes. I always find such inspiration when you post these. :)

Christa Allan said...

Lovely. Frameable.

Pattie said...

Thanks for sharing these quotations.

Keanan Brand said...

I especially like the Anton Chekov quote. It encapsulates one of my ongoing themes to other writers.