1) What's your book about? Are there any clubs or support groups that would be interested in knowing about your book. If you're writing a mystery using a scrapbooker, of course you'll want to send info about your book to every scrapbooking store in the country. Don't forget the churches that host scrapbooking night once a month.
2) Every piece of mail that leaves your house should contain a bookmark inside and a stamp of your cover or release date on the outside of the envelope. You want every person who handles that piece of mail to be informed about your title and your name.
3) Private parties are great. When my book, The Groom Wore Blue Suede Shoes, came out, my family hosted a private booksigning. I supplied the guests list which came to more than 300 people. Waldenbooks ordered the books and handled everything at the signing. It was fantastic. :-) If I do say so myself. Who was on the list? All friends of family, all relatives, old classmates and church buddies, other authors. Even an old girlfriend of my dad's showed up. How interesting was that? Earlier that morning I had a book signing at the mall with four other authors, then during the afternoon we had the very laid-back private party. Remember to take a break from your signing so you can visit with your guests. I forgot and since there were so many friends and family members I hadn't seen in years, I regret not mingling. Oh! don't forget door prizes.
4) Every tip you leave in restaurants should be coupled with a bookmark.
5) Okay, there's an entire phone book at your fingertips. Got any ideas? :)
Why do I place so much importance on the old fashioned, tangible things like bookmarks and brochures? I like them. Sure I like trailers and blog tours and interviews too, but I get tired of sitting in front of the computer surfing through all that stuff. Give me a magazine with an article in it or a post card to hold in my hand, and I'm happy.
6) And what's on your bumper sticker?
Think about it 'cause if Mary Kay can do it, so can we.
FOLLOW ME TO THE BOOKSTORE!