Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Write Through What Ails You

What gets in the way of your writing?
Friends?
Family?
Television?
For me, it's worry. I can't focus if I'm worried about something. When I'm anxious I tend to work on short things. I'm in and out of the writing zone with spurts of creativity and anxiety. I write for a few minutes, block everything from my mind except what I'm writing--almost as if I'm trapped in some madness. When I finally return to reality, I return to worry--a different kind of madness, pace from one end of the house to the other shooting desperate prayers to heaven. Finally I sit and write some more. I suppose it's safe to say my voice is different when I'm tormented by this kind of anxiousness.

What distracts you?
What stands between you and your writing? What do you do about it?
If you've ever been blocked, what caused it? How did you get back on track?
NOTE; I'm not blocked. I'm focused on the short stuff. I'm using writing as an escape from worry. I'm not going to stick my head in an oven. :)

3 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

The biggest distraction? The Internet. Hands down. I would much rather check email, read blogs, and best of all chat with online friends than write.

When I am blocked it is usually because I haven't spent enough time letting a story marinate in my head. I need to mull over the plot, the characters, etc. for a long time before anything happens. My best work is done when I allow my mind to wander as I fall asleep, sketching out the scene I intend to write the next day.

I'm sorry you've had some worry eroding your creativity. A little prayer from me on your behalf is going up. :)

Christa Allan said...

Praying for you to be unblocked. Miss your blogs!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

This kind of worry is not healthy for your body or soul, Jess.

Remember what Jesus said....do not worry or be anxious....after all, God IS in control.

Take a deep breath, sit down and write! :-)